Monday, September 30, 2013

It's feeling like fall, y'all!

I don't remember hearing the word "pumpkin" as much growing up as I have the last several years. Maybe it's adulthood that makes your mind recognize that pumpkins are actually something more than plastic tubs you collect candy in or the big orange balls you scoop slimy grossness out of in preparation of a good carving. Once September hits, there's nothing you can't find in pumpkin flavor!

Well, the coolness has made it to the morning air here in North Central Florida, so I was ready to smell my house up with the fall scent of pumpkin pie. Only I didn't want to make a pumpkin pie. I saw a recipe on Facebook, but it was too detailed and complicated... too many ingredients or steps are turn-off's for me when it comes to baking. So I found one similar and tried it out. It's really good!! It was delicious warm (I was supposed to be letting it cool completely... nobody's got time for that).  It was still just as good this morning after chilling in the fridge all night. When I paired it with my hazelnut coffee with Cinnabon creamer, it was yummy in my tummy! Here's the recipe for anyone interested in trying it:

Pumpkin Cheese Bread II ~ from AllRecipes.com














Ingredients

Cream Cheese mixture
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 Tbsp orange zest

Pumpkin mixture
1-2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1-1/2 cups sugar

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease 2 8x4 loaf pans (I used one large loaf pan).
  2. In a medium bowl combine all ingredients for the Cream Cheese mixture. Set aside.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together 1-2/3 cup all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
  4. Place pumpkin, vegetable oil, 2 eggs and 1-1/2 cups sugar in a large bowl; beat well. Stir the pumpkin mixture into the flour mixture just until combined. At this point, you can fold in some chopped pecans if you feel like it. I don't put nuts in my cakes, cookies or brownies.
  5. Pour 1/2 of the pumpkin batter into your loaf pan(s). Spoon the cream cheese mixture on top of that and then add the remaining pumpkin batter on top.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick (or bamboo skewer) inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool bread in pan(s) for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Or, make you some coffee and cut into the masterpiece after about 15 minutes because it smells just that good. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment